Accidental CHRO to being an Intraprenuer and later an Entrepreneur, has been an action packed decade of my life!
This was an interesting 10 years of my life and have seen 3 distinct career tracks. (2010-2019)
2011 was an interesting year, from business side (sales, finance and strategy) became Group CHRO of the Piramal Group (never planned it by design, but was one of the best experience). Became Executive Director & Head for Piramal Capital & Housing Finance retail business ( first employee) and then 2018 went on the entrepreneurship route of starting VANS Skilling and Advisory and Vans Investments.
Had an opportunity (still continue) to work for and with some of the finest new age tech companies like Ola (ANI Technologies Pvt. Ltd) Avail Finance Luscious Foods and finest brands like IMCD, Tilaknagar Industries, OZONE EDUCATION CONSULTANTS PRIVATE LIMITED, Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management – SIOM, Chetana’s Institute of Management & Research, Bharathidasan Institute of Management Tiruchirapalli, GUJARAT EMPLOYERS’ ORGANISATION, Sydenham Institute of Management Studies, Research and Entrepreneurship Education VJIM Hyderabad and bestowed the coveted “Distinguished Alumni” at silver jubilee of Goa Institute of Management (GIM)
The magic of learning continues…. first few months of the 2020 the learning curve is steeper than the learning of my entire 22 years of career.
- Be Fiscally prudent and keep your fixed costs at the lowest. Every company should undertake a study every year (yes every year..) to explore possibility of cost optimisation structurally.
- Communication and engagement should be part of the culture and DNA of organisation. This is pillar of trust and often companies ignore the same and during times of crisis, any amount of superficial hustle driven approach may not work to build that trust.
- Role of HR has to be more strategic and tight linkage to the business outcome.
- Compliance should be non negotiable and the function should report to the board and not the executives. It is viewed as support function but in my view is a strong leading function and indicator of culture of an organisation.
- Capital is not a limitless resource. Do not expand or chase a non profitable growth. There are companies that have expanded without focus on profitability and one black swan event has completely changed the assumptions on growth versus stability.
- Build transparency as a cultural element and that helps in building a sense of belonging amongst the stakeholders. Mistrust is biggest source of stress for all stakeholders